Suffering from migraines, headaches, or face and jaw pain? If so, you could have Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, also known as TMJ or TMD. TMJ can make chewing, talking, and other daily activities painful and difficult.
We employ a variety of treatment options to alleviate the painful symptoms of TMJ. We are here to give you the relief that you need!
What Are The Symptoms Of TMJ?
TMJ symptoms can vary from person-to-person, but generally include:
- Pain and tenderness around the jaw, ears, cheeks and neck
- Stiffness in the jaw
- Painful chewing
- Pain while yawning
- Locking of the jaw
- Uncontrolled change of facial expression
- Changes in how the upper and lower teeth fit together
What Causes TMJ?
Many things can contribute to the development of TMJ. Stress can be a factor, as well as anything that can cause tension in the jaw and surrounding muscle groups.
A few common causes can be:
- Grinding teeth or clenching your jaw (also referred to as bruxism)
- Injury to the neck or jaw from a trauma such as an auto accident
- Improper bite alignment
- Sleep apnea
- Dislocation or erosion of the joint
How Can TMJ Treatment Help?
Our doctors frequently use botulinum injection therapy (more commonly known as Botox®) to treat TMJ. Anti-aging cosmetic injections are usually associated with cosmetic practices, such as reducing crows feet and other facial wrinkles. However, this type of injection has recently become an increasingly popular and effective TMJ treatment.
While some TMJ symptoms may improve on their own, anti-aging cosmetic injections can offer fast, long-lasting relief for those that need a more targeted solution.
Anti-aging cosmetic injections offer TMJ sufferers the following benefits:
- Reduced shoulder and neck pain
- Minimized lockjaw symptoms
- Reduced jaw discomfort when talking, chewing or yawning
- Alleviation of headaches caused by bruxism
- Reduction in jaw tension
For maintenance, our doctors may also prescribe you a custom-fitted mouth guard to wear at night. These mouth guards are simple, yet effective dental appliances that protect you from grinding and keep your jaw in proper alignment as you sleep.
Schedule Your TMJ Treatment Consultation With Advanced Dentistry Today!
Suffering from the painful symptoms associated with TMJ? We are here to provide you with quick, effective treatment options for speedy relief.
Call today to schedule your TMJ treatment consultation!